Apogem Capital leverages our deep networks and data to proactively develop relationships with established and emerging managers. We seek managers focused on business building who invest in established, specialized lower middle market and middle market companies, often as the first institutional capital into founder or family-owned businesses.
We believe the middle market offers compelling advantages relative to the large and mega segments of the PE market, including a larger number of potential targets, limited competition, historically lower purchase prices, more conservative use of leverage, and consistent and robust exit opportunities.
We currently manage more than $14.7 billion across commingled funds and custom accounts and have committed to over 600 private equity funds since 1991, with a consistent focus on the middle market.
We believe our fund investing strategy can offer clients access to compelling opportunities for outperformance, while mitigating risk through diversification across strategies, vintage years, and industries.
Our commingled fund investing strategy focuses on the lower middle market, and typically targets:
- Strategies: buyout, growth, distressed / turnaround
- Geography: United States, Canada
- Funds typically raising less than $500 million
- Managers with a specialized sector or geography focus and / or differentiated sourcing network / process
- Complementary allocation to co-investments and secondaries
- Typical commitment: $10 – $125 million across the platform
Apogem’s middle market footprint extends beyond the lower middle market to larger funds ($1 – $5 billion+) and managers based outside of North America. We partner with clients to develop custom programs to access these relationships, which are often capacity constrained.